Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Activities

Each year I have one day when the incoming kindergarten students come to class and see what kindergarten is like. They spend four hours in class. This kids do journal, a religion activity, centers and small group time, snack and recess, read aloud and calendar, centers and small group time again, recess again and then they go home. I call this day Kinder Camp. The parents are welcome to stay and watch or they may drop their students off and pick them up at noon. During Kinder Camp we do activities centered around the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. The kids make Chicka Chicka Boom Boom trees.


This is a sample of one of the trees. The kids put their coconut tree together and fill out the information on the paper below the tree. Then the kids put the letters in their name on the tree using stickers. They are allowed to put the letters anywhere on the tree. This child chose to put his name in the correct order instead of randomly putting the letters all over the tree.

I created activities for my centers that had a palm tree or jungle theme. This is from the math center. The kid had to match the top piece of the palm frond to the bottom piece of the palm frond. The top part had stickers on it and the bottom had a corresponding number.

In this activity, the kids had to put the coconuts in number order.




The frogs were used to make patterns.

I created this palm tree labeling activity for the science center. The kids had to use the picture on the left to label the picture on the right. They used the words outlined in black and taped them onto the palm tree on the right.
 I created this coconut labeling activity for the science center as well.


I made this alphabet matching activity for the language arts center. The kids had to match the capital letter to the lowercase letter.
 I found this cute activity on Teachers Pay Teachers for free. It was a coconut tree rhyming pack. The kids had to match the picture on the tree to a picture on the coconut that rhymed with it.

I had coconut painting set up at the art center, but I forgot to take a picture of it. I just put a coconut in a tray of paint and the kids dipped the coconut in the paint and dabbed it on white paper. 

I also created a coconut labeling activity that the kids did for a science lesson. Here is our anchor chart.

This is my sample.

Here are some samples of what the students made. They did an awesome job!



No comments:

Post a Comment