Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Rhythm Tic-tac-toe

Today my students played rhythm tic-tac-toe. I learned this game when I was in the credential program. I used a piece of poster board and drew a 4x4 grid on it. I used mini bulletin board accents on the grid to show where to clap (I change the accents to coordinate with each season). 

Each row represents one measure in 4/4 time. Each square equals one beat. When there is no bulletin board accent (snails), the kids tap their shoulders to show that there is a rest. The students clap when there is a bulletin board accent. For example, when the students read the picture above they would tap-clap-tap-clap, clap-tap-clap-tap, tap-clap-clap-tap, clap-tap-tap-clap. I chose a student to move the snails and we started again. The kids loved it!

We reviewed note types and names and then played rhythm tic-tac-toe.

No comments:

Post a Comment