Saturday, March 30, 2019

Flexible Seating

I am currently taking a class about inclusive education and I have been learning about Universal Design for Learning. I have been thinking about using flexible seating in my classroom for the last three years. I tried it with a group of kids I had three years ago and it was a disaster; the kids fought over who got to sit where and I did not have a lot of options for where the kids got to sit. After a week, I gave up because it was too hard. Since then, I have seen a few teachers use flexible seating and it worked for their kids. So, I decided to try it again. I raised two of my tables to be belly desks. I lowered (took the legs off) two of my tables so that kids can sit on the floor, and I left two tables at the normal height. 

Here is a picture of my kids working.  In this picture you can see one belly table, one regular height table with stability balls as chairs, and one low table with cushions.


Here is one of my students using the stability ball.


This little guy is at the low table and is sitting on a cushion.

These two kids are at the belly table.


This is the carpet area. I teach most of my lessons from this carpet and then the kids go back to their tables for independent practice. I got clipboards for my kids to use when they are on the carpet.


Here are my little ones working. They are starting to understand what seating works for them.


I also got fidgets at the Dollar Tree. There are enough for all of the kids to have one it they choose to. I had to teach the kids how to use fidgets appropriately and they understand that if they misuse the fidgets, then they have to put them back. 

I made a cool down corner. This is still a work in progress. I need to get a timer, a few calming sensory bottles, and crayons and paper so the kids can draw how they feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment